Ladies Night - November 3rd 2016
Welcome To Innovation at Hebden Bridge Mill
Welcome to Hebden Bridge Mill. A building which has stood at the centre of this town, even before there was a town!
Built following an agreement between the Lords Of the Manors of Wadsworth and Heptonstall, dated the 3rd February 1314, it stood beside the original timber packhorse bridge across the River Hebden, preceding the ‘Old Bridge’ (1510) still remaining today.
Abandoned in 1956 and totally derelict, we purchased the mill in 1972 to save it from demolition. Today, it once again stands proud, fully restored, beside the clear rushing waters of the River Hebden. Put back to work again as home to the INNOVATION SHOP & CAFÉ-BAR, we invite you to visit us, to enjoy the wonderful ambience of this historic building. This principle of environmental sustainability characterises our entire business, with a wide range ethically sourced goods available in our shop and wholesome locally sourced food in the café; staff paid a proper ‘living wage’ (rather than the debased minimum so often paid elsewhere); and all our energy generated on site from fully renewable sources.
Come and see the GIANT WATERWHEEL in the café and the modern ARCHIMEDES SCREW taking power from the river. Learn about how they work and view the HERITAGE INFORMATION PANELS on display. Navigate our website to read about the history of this fine 700 year building, including the story of its rescue and restoration plus details of the sustainable energy project which has returned it to total dependence on water power for all its energy and heating needs.
You can now be assured that it does not cost the earth to shop, eat or drink at Innovation. Sit comfortably in our premises in the knowledge that you are not only supporting environmental protection but also assisting our conservation efforts to safeguard and enhance this important historic building. We have received no grants for this project and depend entirely on resources we generate ourselves.HEBDEN BRIDGE MILL has been rebuilt on dreams, hard slog and the contributions of customers, such as yourselves --- so, you can be confidant that it does not cost the earth to visit, shop, eat or drink at INNOVATION in HEBDEN BRIDGE MILL. Do come and have a look at us and let us thank you for your support.
• Design led Greetings Cards & Wrap
• Specialist Candles and Incense
• On-trend Accessories and Jewellery
• Ethical Body Products including Neal’s Yard Remedies
• Contemporary Décor Gifts & Family Woven Indian Rug
• Vintage Family Fun & Games
• Our sunny, friendly, ‘get together’ space
• Farm sourced traditional dishes & celebrated Soups
• Veggie & ‘healthy eating options
• Home-made scones & cakes
• Specialty ‘Yorkshire’ tea, coffee & local beers
• Riverside & streetside terraces
• At the heart of town on historic St. Georges Square
• Riverside and Streetside terraces
• Giant working waterwheel and Archimedes screw
• Heritage and sustainability information panels
• Also Open in the Mill – Toyshop; Retro-wear; Antiques & Orientals
• Plus local favourite restaurant Il Mulino